The TALKING SYNTH is a small-sized sound module based on the Speakjet ™ chip, produced by the U.S. company Magnevation LLC that produces idiosyncratic sounds: from more or less sick robot speech to obscure synthesizer sounds. The variety ranges from speech-like sounds and synthetic robot voices (as well as beeps and alarms), to retro-style sci-fi sounds. Due to the structure of the Speakjet ™ (with its complex sound synthesizer, preset sounds and serial interface) it offers an impressive range of possibilities. The SpeakJet is not sample based as you might think, it has its own sound engine.
The module offers three modes:
SYNTH - internal synthesizer sounds
PHONEMES - speech phonemes and effect sounds
WORDS - ready-made words/phrases/sentences.
With the switch in the 'HOLD' position the sounds can be played continuously. In the 'TRIGGER' position the sounds can be triggered manually with a pushbutton or with an external trigger input. Four parameters can be controlled with pots or four external CV inputs (0..+10v), then the pots serve as offset controls.
Software updates possible via USB (jack on PCB)!
Please listen the MP3 file "SpeakJet Radio" from Thomas Wagner (Berlin)
SOUND EXAMPLES (mp3)
- MODE SYNTH: Pitch 0..3,9KHz in semitones monophon + Chords
- MODE SYNTH: Noise
- MODE SYNTH: LFO (1)
- MODE SYNTH: LFO (2)
- MODE PHONEME: Sounds (1)
- MODE PHONEME: Sounds (2)
- MODE WORDS: Count up
- MODE WORDS: Randomized sentences
- Talking Synth module + FX6 + Tame machine
- PDF - MANUAL Talking Synth module version 1.00 (english)
Videos on YouTube
Advice: For updating the firmware please download the HEX file
(please click on the link with the right mouse button for download the file).
You can update the device with "Atmel FLIP" (for windows, Linux) or with "DFU-programmer 0.5.2" (for MAC-OS).
Instruction manuals here:
- PDF - UPDATE Anleitung PC (deutsch) NEW!
- PDF - UPDATE Anleitung MAC OSX (deutsch) NEW!
- PDF - UPDATE Instructions PC (english) NEW!
- PDF - UPDATE Instructions MAC OSX (english) NEW!
v1.00 (date: january 23, 2011)
- first Version of serie
- download: TSM_V100.HEX Firmware Version 1.00
v1.01 (date: october 12, 2011)
- fix bug initialisation variables
- download: TSM_V101.HEX Firmware Version 1.01